Have you ever wondered why you see certain Ads in your Facebook News Feed?
Everything you do on Facebook is tracked, even when you “like” a Business Page. They take your information and place it into categories of “interests”, anything you viewed on Google will show up in your News Feed, all the different information you input into your personal profile “about” section is also targeted.
The GREAT news is that you can clean this up so that certain Ads won’t be targeted towards you!!
- From your desktop/laptop, log into your Facebook account (if you are going to do this from your phone App, you will find it under your “account settings” option)
- Click on the drop down arrow at the top right corner of Facebook
- Click on the tab “settings”
- Click on the tab “Ads” down the left
- Once you are in here, you want to go through each category and remove anything that you do not want them to target you with
- Your interests (this is the information they gathered based on the pages you have liked)
- Advertisers you’ve interacted with (specific companies you have interacted with)
- Your information (this is the information you have put into your “about” section, you can turn off any of them you did not wish to receive Ads based on this criteria)
- Ad settings (in here you can turn “off” the elements you do not want targeted to you)
- Hide ad topics (you can choose to hide for a certain time frame or even permanently)
I would encourage you to go through this exercise as you really don’t know what you have made available to those who are doing Sponsored Ads. When businesses create their Sponsored Ads, they choose a very specific target market and if you have any of the criteria they are targeting, then it will come into your news feed.
Clean it up!